Friday, October 31, 2008

Love is still an international language

Happy Halloween!  Today I dressed up as . . . . a teacher.  Hah.  After my car rental success, I did a little Assisi research, then went into school to teach a couple of afternoon courses.  My first class was one thirteen-year-old girl and three nurses.  Yep - all three!  Great class.  The following class was just two people: a married couple.  Francesco and Anna have been married for 31 years, and you can tell.  Love aside, they like each other so much, but they also talk over each other, finish each other's sentences, cut each other off, etc.  From tone and body language, I could understand almost everything they said in Italian.  It was so nice to interact with them and be able to recognize the familiar communication style of a happily married couple.  *sigh*

So being a teacher is hard - duh.  The actual teaching part is pretty pleasant and not too challenging.  Of course, most of my students are adults who want to be there, so I'm lucky.  (The 4 and 7 year olds - not so easy!)  Anyway, the hardest and most time-consuming part for me is the prep work.  So kudos to all you teachers who spend so much time planning lessons, anticipating the unexpected, and making learning that much easier for the rest of us!

Off topic: there's a bilboard I see on my bus ride home every day from work.  It has an overweight man in a tight green suit with a B on it.  His name?  Captain Basilico.  That's right.  Captain Basil.  I don't know if it's an ad for basil, or some sort of comedic ad for something else, but it makes me smile every day.  Captain Basilico strikes again!

1 comment:

Ayesha said...

:) reading about Captain Basilico made me smile so he's apparently doing his job. :)
Jimmy, it's good to hear that you're assimilating well. I'm stil jealous and can't wait to come visit.
cheeky monkey!
Jimmy