Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Assisi - Day One

Today marks our first full day living in Assisi.  We both have colds, so we're not as energetic as we'd like, but it's gorgeous here.  Kim's cold was hitting her hard this morning, so I went out for a walk on my own (pretending he's beside me..... Eponine!)  Ahem.  Anyway, we're not too far from San Matteo, which is on the northeast side of Assisi.  But instead of walking down into the center of the city, I veered further north outside of the city walls and found a little, paved trail.  Very steep.  Why not?

Well the paved trail soon became a gravel trail, then a dirt trail.  There were a lot of dogs on the way up in big, wide cages.  The one closest to me was surprisingly calm when I approached - she looked a lot like my Dad's old hunting dog, Lady.  The trail got steeper and steeper, and a man passed by me walking two more hunting (looking) dogs.  A few minutes later, he came up from behind with two more dogs.  I followed them up, and he stopped at a wooded park with picnic tables, all on a steep hill, situated next to an old tower.  I walked to the top of the park and took a rest at one of the tables.  

Thinking I couldn't possibly climb any more, I saw a little, old woman (70's probably) making her way down the mountain trail, now back to gravel road size.  She was wearing workout clothes and carrying a walking stick.  Well if this woman can get up there, then so can I!  So a kept going.  And going.  And hurting.  And panting.  As the end of each uphill stretch revealed another long, steep haul ahead, I finally stopped and turned around.  Making my way down this trail safely hurt almost as much as on the way up!  

Hopefully today's lunch will turn my legs from jelly back into muscle so I can venture out this afternoon with Kim.  Pictures from this morning are here
http://picasaweb.google.com/annieoctober15/HelloAssisi#

No comments: